Amen, Samuel

For those of you not familiar with it, yes, this really is a book, and it is awesome.

And then, somehow, the audiobook version got even awesomer.

14 Responses to “Amen, Samuel”

1. When this book came out, I puchased 3 copies.

One is on my bookshelf, and makes visitors laugh their asses off. The other two are put away, to be given to my children when they become parents. A message inside, to each of them, basically says “NOW YOU’LL UNDERSTAND!!”

2. I’ve heard this and read this before, and it’s gold. Solid gold. I’d listen to Samuel L. Jackson read the damn phonebook.

3. LA Juice says:

YES! Someone else found this book too!!! Posts like this make me soo happy to know you, and know there are others out there too.

I twit pic’ed this book at Christmas when I saw it at barnes and noble. Shit like this makes me want to have children so badly.

I started to respond to this, and guess what happened? That’s right, I had to tell one of the little peckers to go to sleep.

4. OneDayI'llbeThatGuy says:

I want Walken.

But then, no one would sleep.

• OneDayI'llbeThatGuy says:

I don’t even recognize Samuel uttering “the Fuck” without shouting it.

Mrs. Dogs & I were waiting for him to ad-lib: “I’m suck and fucking tired of all these motherfuckin’ non-sleepin’ babies on the motherfuckin’ plane!”

5. Rusty says:

I’ve seen this book. It is excellent 🙂

The first time I heard someone read it, it was read by Noni from the Australian Play School TV show that followed Sesame Street. Noni left the show more than 20 years ago, so the people who know her, have kids, and understand…

I plead total and utter ignorance of Australian popular culture, which is a bummer, because I’ve seen a lot of oddball shit coming from Down Under, and I believe I’d like it.

6. Vesta Vayne says:

Fantastic. And really? Who but Samuel Jackson could do this book justice?

I’d be interesting in hearing Charles Manson’s take on it.

• OneDayI'llbeThatGuy says:

De Niro, definitely.
        You want authoritative but quiet menace.

Oscar-winning menace.

Or Nolte could do it.
        Or Christain Bale, if he kept his shit in check.

Terence Stamp, Ian McShane (the entire cast of Deadwood, actually), but definitely Steve Buscemi.

Gary Oldman, of course; that goes without saying.